Indigenous and Metis Research
Preliminary Search: $25.00
A preliminary search will be done to determine if enough information is available to carry on with the basic search of Indigenous and Métis sources.
Basic Search: $75.00 for the direct line per family
Sources checked include:
1. Land Records, Métis and Original White Settlers. Department of the Interior, Dominion lands Branch RG 15 D1.
- Applications of 1886-1901 made by North West Half Breeds.
- Applications of 1885 made by North West Half Breeds.
- Affidavits 1870-1885 – province of Manitoba.
- Land records Metis and Original White Settlers. Registers or grants to children of Half Breeds and the heads of families in Manitoba, Northwest Alberta, Athabasca and Mackenzie River Districts.
2. Census Records for the Northwest Territories 1881, 1891 and 1901. Census Records for Saskatchewan 1906, 1911, 1916, 1921. Census Records for Manitoba 1870.
3. Saskatchewan Genealogical Society Cemetery Collection: Not all cemeteries have been recorded.
4. SGS Obituary Index: Note the obits are from 1982 to 2001.
5. Saskatchewan Resident’s Index (SRI).
6. Métis National Council Historic Database.
Research reports will be e-mailed and will note all the sources checked. The searches are done by certified researchers. Should you require a more in-depth search done, the Society can supply you with the name of a researcher who could do this work for you.